Common Topics

Find a Dentist

Do gums ever reverse the receding process on their own?

I am wondering if gums "grow back" after receding? I know about gum grafts but is that the only way to resolve the issue?


  • The U.S. National Library of Medicine states that it isn't possible for gums to grow back. Gum grafts, as you mentioned, and a newer technique called pinhole surgical technique are two ways to resolve that issue. Speak to your dentist about all options and what would work best for you and your oral health.

Sign In or Register to comment.