Categories

Common Topics

Find a Dentist
Community

Do I have dry socket?

I just got my wisdom teeth pulled and it really hurts. I'm afraid I may have dry socket. What are the symptoms?

Best Answer

Answers

• Oh no! Dry socket is the absolute worst. I feel your pain. Getting wisdom teeth pulled was definitely not on my bucket list. When I got home from getting mine pulled, I plopped right down on my living room recliner. You are going to want to sit straight back because flipping on your side will cause the blood to all flow to one side. Make sure not to drink beverages with a straw! That is how my dry socket developed because I was so excited about drinking my iced latte that I completely forgot that I shouldn't use a straw. If you are having this much pain, I would definitely recommend following up with your dentist or oral surgeon right away. The longer you wait, the worse it could get. Another common symptom is pain radiating from the socket to the ear, eye, or neck. I know that a certain degree of pain is expected when having this procedure. And the pain meds prescribed to you should be helping tolerate the pain. If this continues and worsens you could definitely got dry socket. Don't worry though! Your dentist will probably give you some sort of special antibacterial mouthwash and antibiotics that will help heal the dry socket. It's not the end of the world. The recovery time was fairly quick for me. I hope this helps and good luck!