Categories

Common Topics

Find a Dentist
Community

Tooth Staining without Habit Changes

In the past couple weeks, my teeth have started to pick up a lot more stains (brown/dark yellow), but I haven't really changed my eating or drinking habits. I usually drink a cup of coffee in the morning and a few glasses of red wine a week, but I have for years. I did have a dentist deep cleaning done with laser treatment about a month or two ago, though. Could this have caused my teeth's enamel to wear away faster than normal and lead to my teeth picking up way more stains? Any other ideas on what would have caused such a quick staining process (and more importantly, how to reverse it and prevent future stains)? I've tried baking soda and activated charcoal, which help a little bit, but the stains keep coming back.

Best Answer

Answers

• Thanks for the answer! I also realized I was prescribed PerioGard mouthwash which I've been using since the deep cleaning. I looked on the side effects and saw that tooth staining was one of them and was very common. Since it happened quite suddenly, I think that's the culprit. Does that seem likely?

I just finished the mouthwash last week, so if it doesn't clear up with regular brushing and flossing for a week or two, I'll schedule a visit for an in-office whitening.

• Yes PerioGard contains Chlorhexidine which does stain teeth. For this reason, I often tell patients to take a q tip dipped into the solution and dab around the gums rather than swish as instructed. It does make sense that your staining is caused by the mouthwash. A cleaning should remove a lot of the staining.

• That is a great tip on how to use PerioGard while reducing the chance of staining your teeth!